Most people have seen the nasty side of employee relations gone wrong at work.
- Being caught out by government inspectors for using an incorrect pay formula after misinterpreting an industrial pay award or agreement.
- Underperforming staff members claiming “harassment” or “bullying” by their manager or supervisor who has been clumsy in their attempts to apply the company’s performance management policy.
- Employees leaving the company and then poaching key staff.
- Facing backpay claims by not being clear enough on the Employee vs Contractor issue.
- Not having solid employment contracts in place.
- Botching staff terminations and redundancies (creating a terrible working atmosphere for those who remain).
- Not knowing how to handle unions in the workplace.
- Discrimination claims made and eventually costing the business time and money.
- Strikes or threatened industrial action poisoning a previously positive workplace relationship with the employees.
What Proactive Organisations Do
- Have all employment law documentation (including HR policies, procedures, letters and forms) in place.
- Train all staff in the existence and the proper use of these human resources documents.
- Provide good employee relations training to all supervisors and managers.
- Have independent legal advice assess the documentation, processes, training before, not after, things go wrong.
Smart businesses add a 5th item to their list . .
The 5th item is to keep up to date with good workplace legal advisors so the business is ready for any problem that may arise.
Download Free HR & Staff Management Documents
You can download free staff management documents and details of legal advisors on a regional basis here:
Click here: Employment law advice